Friday 28 March 2014

Warning!



Todays picture made me smile as this could have been written about Bubble.  Today he is bored - a sure sign he is getting better.  However - he still thinks he can lie on the sofa watching crap films and being waited on hand and foot,  I know he is my little boy, and I love him dearly, but at some point in his life he is going to leave home and fend for himself so I reckon the sooner he learns the easier my job will be.  The good news is it seems like the pain he is getting from shingles is finally easing off a bit.  I have been asking him how much pain he is in on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the most pain), he has downgraded his answer.  He originally decided the pain was an 8, when I said childbirth was an 8 he downgraded his pain scale to a 6. Nice to know my son does appreciate what women have to go through!

After yesterdays misadventure with the shopping,  I decided to stay home and do some housework.  I HATE housework with a passion,  I will do practically anything else rather than get the duster out.  I often wonder if this is a part of my teenage rebellion phase that I never grew out of.  The dowager duchess has always been houseproud, spending several hours each morning going through her cleaning routine, generally singing stirring hymns from church as she banishes grime and dirt away, but I am just not that bothered about clutter. Anyway after a week at home with a poorly boy my house resembles a 1970's student squat so it was with a heavy heart I decided to buck up and do something.  I failed miserably.  By the time I had managed to get the lounge and kitchen looking something like they are supposed to I had lost the will to live so decided the abyss of the upstairs could wait until tomorrow and had to eat biscuits!  Bang goes the diet.....

Last night was Squeaks music concert at school, off we went with the Dowager in tow and it really was a nice evening. It always amazes me how game children are to show off what they can do.  Squeak is trying to make her mind up about the piano.  She never practices and is not really enjoying it all that much and has been asking if she can give it up.  I am hoping that last night will have inspired her to continue as I think she will get a lot out of it once she masters it. Squeak is however mistress of her own destiny and despite what I say she will almost certainly do her own thing!

I am constantly amazed that so far people seem to enjoy what I am writing, so please do like and share, or even leave me a comment to tell me blogs about housework are boring!  I completely agree!!

I am enclosing my favorite poem for no particular reason, just felt it was appropriate.

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment